History of Muckno Lodge
Those interested in experiencing a little bit of Irish history will relish a stay in this traditional Irish Self Catering Cottage. As you walk in the main entrance of Muckno Lodge, one of the first things you will notice is a crest above the front door displaying the Crown, Date and letter B. The symbol of the Crown may seem odd given you are in the Republic of Ireland, however this crest doesn't only tell of age of Muckno Lodge (well over a century old), but also offers a little insight into Co Monaghan’s, and indeed Muckno Lodge's place in the Irish history books.
Originally built in 1869, on the then Bath Estate, the crest above the door signified British landlord ownership, and it is understood that Muckno Lodge was originally built as a gamekeeper’s cottage on the estate. It is now one of the very few original Bath Estate properties remaining.
Co Monaghan was establised in the 16th century, when Ulster was divided into counties and apportioned to Irish chieftans. It was not planted like the other counties of Ulster in 1603 however. The lands were instead left in the hands of the native chieftains.
In the Irish Rebellion of 1641 the McMahons and their allies joined the general rebellion of Irish Catholics. Following their defeat, some plantation of the county took place with Scottish and English families.
Following it's establishment, County Monaghan was further divided into the five baronies of Cremorne, Dartrey, Monaghan, Truagh and Farney.
The Bath Estate covered the eastern half of the Barony of Farney, most of which had been granted by Queen Elizabeth to Walter Deverux, 1st Earl of Essex, in 1575. The Bath Estate, with the adjoining Shirley Estate, were two of the largest Estates in Co Monaghan, as illustrated in the map below.
In 1646, the Bath estate fell in co-heiress-ship between The Thynne Family, Viscounts Weymouth and subsequently Marquesses of Bath. The centre of the main street of local town Carrickmacross formed the boundary line between the two estates.
According to The Landowners of Ireland, 1878, the 2nd biggest landowner in Co. Monaghan was the Marquess of Bath, 48 Berkeley Square, London, owning 22,762 acres in Farney. Bath was an absentee who seldom if ever visited his estates. His agents, however, are noted as being much more humane than those of the Shirley Estate. Noted as a particularly benevolent agent was Tristram Kennedy who tenured during the Famine 1845-1852.
William Steuart Trench, a native of Ireland, however became agent in 1852 and apparently treated the tenants much more harshly. Trench was the object of several unsuccessful assignation attempts by Ribonmen, members of the Ribon Society founded in 1826, formed in response to the miserable conditions in which the vast majority of tenant farmers and rural workers lived in the early 19th century in Ireland. Trench was agent from 1852 until his death in 1872, during which time Muckno Lodge was built.
For more interesting historical information on our local area check our our local GAA team St Victors Club Toome's website: http://www.toomestvictors.gaa.ie/history